Friday, July 20, 2007

It's safe to say I'm a Harry Pot-head.


I just came up with that. Damn I'm clever.

Yeah, so new Harry Potter book comes out at midnight tonight. this just after the fifth film in the series was released. I am so damn excited about this. Seriously. It's the end of the series and all that, so I intend on staying indoors and shutting myself off this whole weekend so I can concentrate on reading, so as not to come across the ending of the book on the interwebs. Yeah, I'm a dork. So what?

As for the new movie? It rocks pretty hardcore. The third one is still the best as far as the movies go, but this might be runner up. I loved the look of it (Same dude who shot Black Hawk Down!) mainly because it is seriously the closest any of the movies have come to what I envision in my head while reading the book. Sure, there's a part of me that misses all the stuff they cut out of the book (especially with Neville, as the kid who plays him is turning out to be a damn fine actor), but the movie moves along at a quick pace and feels a lot more fluid than the staccato rhythm of the previous film. Scenes seem to flow together at a natural pace.

And the acting is pretty damn fine this time around. Granted with such a crowded cast, plus new characters to introduce, they're running out of English actors (I'm praying there's a part in the seventh for Simon Pegg and/or Nick Frost, being that them and Ricky Gervais are all that's left). Of the newcomers, I really liked the girl who played Luna Lovegood. She played it spacey without being too strange. In the book she came off as slightly obnoxious about her weirdness, like Brooklyn hipsters who always insist they're not hipsters or cool but secretly believe they are and write bad poetry on their MySpace blogs every day. Anyway, Luna isn't like that. She's definitely weird and she knows it, but she's fine with it. Really liked her. And Imelda Staunton as Delores Umbridge was spot on. I remember in the book, I HATED that character. Every time she was in a scene, I would yell at the book. Literally. I hated her. And she's pitch perfect in the flick. Well done. that's not to diminish the rest of the cast, they just keep getting better and better. (Especially the twins). But I liked these two a lot in this already stuffed movie.

The thing about this chapter in Harry Potter is that it's the grimmest. From page 1 on, there's just foreboding and doom lurking around every corner. every choice seems to be a bad one, and it keeps sinking and sinking and getting worse for Harry. And it's not until the very end that there's some hope. The movie captured it perfectly, I feel. Really well done. Even the fight in the ministry of magic at the end had the same blue tint I saw in my mind. Astounding.


Yeah, so this weekend, if anybody feels like checking in to see if I'm alive, I may not answer. I'll be reading.

Because I'm a dork.

A dork who loves Harry Potter and who can't wait to finish the book, even though there might not be anymore after this. Had to end sometime, I guess.

Funny, remember when people wanted to ban these books because they thought it promoted witchcraft? I think they still feel that. Go check out Jesus Camp.

No comments: