Dude here again. I got the Harry Potter book on Friday. I'm reading it. It's awesome.
This weekend, some movies came out. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates, the actuals will be available on Monday. Just to prove me wrong).
1. I Now... Chuck and Larry (Uni) - $34.775, 3495 screens, week 1, $34.775 total
2. Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (WB) - $32.185, 4285 screens, week 2, $207.5 total
3. Hairspray (NL) - $27.8, 3121 screens, week 1, $27.8.4 total
4. Transformers (Par/DW) - $20.5, 3762 screens, week 3, $262.969 total
5. Ratatouille (Dis/Pix) - $11.0, 3402 screens, week 4, $165.6 total
6. Live Free or Die Hard (Fox)- $7.3, 2727 screens, week 4, $116.4 total
7. License to Wed (WB) - $3.76, 2525 screens, week 3, $38.678 total
8. 1408 (MGM/Dim) - $2.6, 1451 screens, week 5, $67.5 total
9. Evan Almighty (Uni) - $2.4, 1779 screens, week 5, $93.469 total
10. Knocked Up (Uni) - $2.3, 1288 screens, week 8, $142.7 total
Ok, those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Who cares? I got me a lot of reading to do. From the look of the numbers, it looks like a lot of other people opted to stay in and read over going to the movies. But there were some solid hits there. The numbers might change a lot by tomorrow, but by then, I'll know the ending of the book and will care about movies again. Maybe.
Just for fun, though, here's hoping next weekend that 1408 only loses 43 screens next week, so it will only be playing on 1408 screens, and we can all go "Creeeeeeeeepppppeeeeyyyyyyy" together!
FUN FACT: I'm reading so fast, my eyes hurt!