Dude here again, recovering from a festive holiday weekend, where too much food was consumed, but not so much food as booze. Lots of booze. I've been in an alcoholic haze for three straight days. I'm not gonna lie to you. I don't even know my own name anymore. I wake up in strange places I've never been before. Oh, right.
This week, we have a bunch of new movies opening up, but none managed to knock the top two from last week off their perch. There's a joke in there about the Happy Feet penguin and the word "Perch" , but I'm not going to make it. I leave that pun nonsense to Joel Siegel. Anyway, with the big holiday weekend, the numbers are quite large, as they are the 5-day total for the weekend. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates, the actuals will be available on Monday).
1. Happy Feet (WB) - $51.555, 3804 screens, week 2, $100.1 total
2. Casino Royale (Sony/MGM) - $45.05, 3443 screens, week 2, $94.2 total
3. Deja Vu (BV) - $29.0, 3108 screens, week 1, $29.0 total
4. Deck The Halls (Fox) - $16.88, 3205 screens, week 1, $16.88 total
5. Borat (Fox) - $15.4, 2552 screens, week 4, $109.28 total
6. Santa Clause 3 (Disney) - $13.8, 3043 screens, week 4, $67.199 total
7. Stranger Than Fiction (Sony)- $8.4, 2258 screens, week 3, $32.76 total
8. Flushed Away (Par/DW) - $7.67, 2621 screens, week 4, $57.366 total
9. Bobby (MGM/W)- $6.077, 1667 screens, week 2, $6.15 total
10. The Fountain (WB) - $5.4, 1472 screens, week 1, $5.4 total
Ok, those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it really means that people preferred the penguins and James Bond again, over Deja Vu. (Twenty bucks says other box office reports refer to the "deja vu" of last weekend's top movies doing better than Deja Vu).
If you're contributed to the $16.88 million that Deck The Halls made this weekend, please smack yourself in the face. Twice. Especially given that The Fountain made so little. There's no balance in the world anymore. Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny made even less, in 11th place with $5.1 million for the five days. This is almost as bothersome as that whole Big Momma's House 2 fiasco at the beginning of the year.
No, nothing's that bad.
Below the radar, something called The History Boys opened up on 7 screens and made $101,000.
And in the "just because it's there and because I can" series: Jackass Number 2 took in $68,000 on 152 screens, bringing it's grand total to $72,756,000 in 10 weeks
There you have my not so wonderful break down. Next week we got other movies coming out. But I won't be as hungover, and I'll try to make it more informative. Or maybe not. Maybe I'll just go on a Nicolas Cage-esque bender, Leaving Las Vegas style. Yeah. That sounds like a fun week.
Until next weekend....