Dude here again. It's a brand new year. And yet it's the same line up as last week. Nothing changed, really.
Or did they?!?!?
This weekend, was pretty much the same as last weekend, which is sort of remarkable. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday).
1. Avatar (Fox) $68.3, 3461 screens, week 3, $352.1 total
2. Sherlock Holmes (WB) - $38.3, 3626 screens, week 2, $140.6 total
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Fox) - $36.6, 3747 screens, week 2, $157.3 total
4. It's Complicated (Uni)- $18.7, 2897 screens, week 2, $59.1 total
5. The Blind Side (WB) - $12.6, 2926 screens, week 7, $209.0 total
6. Up In The Air (Par)- $11.3, 1895 screens, week 5, $45.0 total
7. The Princess and the Frog (BV)- $10.0, 3328 screens, week 6, $86.0 total
8. Did You Hear About The Morgans? (Sony)- $5.2, 2718 screens, week 3, $25.6 total
9. Nine (Wein)- $4.2, 1412 screens, week 3, $14.0 total
10. Invictus (WB) - $4.1, 2170 screens, week 4, $30.7 total
So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means Avatar is fast on the way to making more than several small nations. It crossed the billion dollar worldwide gross, a feat only accomplished by four other movies. The top one being Titanic, and with Avatar being a Cameron film, it all winds around itself intricately. Point is, it made bank. It was a gamble that paid off, and looks like it will continue to pay off.
For what it's worth, I'm really looking forward to the backlash against the film, much like the Titanic backlash from oh so many years ago. Plus, it's fun to see people who a month ago raved about the flick suddenly changing their opinion, to seem hip and relevant.
Honestly, is there anything else here that needs discussing? Alvin and the Chipmunks? It's Complicated? The Blind Side? Do any of these feature blue people? No. They don't matter. But they're certainly picking up a lot of cash over this 2nd holiday weekend. Avatar is what's on the peoples' minds and tongues, and that's all we're gonna talk about.
So there, you have my amazing break down. Next week, things will settle down a little bit, but watch for Avatar to continue Cameron domination of box office records. Also, Daybreakers and Youth In Revolt.
Until next weekend...
(Actual sign on Florida gas pump. This might be as cool as Bronson, MO!)