Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Best and The Best-Worst: 2009 Edition (With Bonus Materials!)

So I wrote up my best/worst round up. I initially wrote it the way I've been doing it on here for the past few years, breaking them down into categories other than best/worst. But then I decided to just focus on the top ones and post it on the Moviesonline site.

My editor broke it up into three separate pieces. The Best, The Worst, And The Craptastic! (Unfortunately, The Worst is not up yet, but when it is I'll let you know).

(This might be a hint as to one of the movies).

However, there were a lot of movies that didn't make the cut. And I decided to post those movies here. Here's what didn't make the lists:


SOLID (Good far outweighs the bad)

Outlander, Taken, Sunshine Cleaning, I Love You, Man, Skills Like This, Tokyo, The Escapist, Anvil! The Story of Anvil, State of Play, The Limits of Control, Next Day Air, The Brothers Bloom, Drag Me To Hell, Pontypool, The Hangover, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, In The Loop, Paper Heart, Cold Souls, The Goods: Live Hard Sell Hard, 9, Pandorum, Whip It, The Invention of Lying, Where The Wild Things Are, House of the Devil, Pirate Radio, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Public Enemies, Carriers, World's Greatest Dad,


HONORABLE MENTION (Good enough to recommend to the curious, but flawed enough to make me hesitate)

Donkey Punch, Adventureland, 17 Again, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, Dead Snow, Humpday, Thirst, Taking Woodstock, Extract, Jennifer's Body, Ong Bak 2: The Beginning, The Box, The Men Who Stare At Goats, Ninja Assassin, Sherlock Holmes.


MEH TO MOSTLY FORGETTABLE

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Killshot, Fanboys, The International, Race to Witch Mountain, Duplicity, Fast and Furious, Alien Trespass, Gigantic, Lymelife, Battle For Terra, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Big Man Japan, Surrogates (Even though it had that awesome scene where Bruce Willis punches a robot to death with his bare hands!)


INEXPLICABLE

The Final Destination
,
It's not very good, but I saw it in 3-D, and my friend Larry and I were the only people in the theater. And we like being jerks sometimes, so I had a blast while seeing this, even though I don't think I ever want to see it again.

Antichrist
The opening scene is stunning. The movie looks gorgeous. There's certainly plenty of insane shit going on, and the movie works on numerous levels. Still, I feel bad recommending it to people because it is quite a polarizing movie and there are certain things in it nobody should see. They involve the words "Dafoe" and "nutsack".

HAVEN'T SEEN YET, BUT WANT TO (Mostly for my own records and for Netflix queue reference): Knowing, Monsters Vs. Aliens, Sleep Dealer, Tetro, Up, The Proposal, Bruno, Orphan, The Collector, The Cove, Flame & Citron, Julie & Julia,(though, I've tried to see it twice!), A Perfect Getaway, Ponyo, It Might Get Loud, Big Fan, Mystery Team, Gamer, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, The Informant!, Bright Star, Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell (I hear it's AWFUL!), Paranormal Activity, An Education, Trucker, Law Abiding Citizen, Michael Jackson This Is It, Precious, The Blind Side, Me and Orson Wells, Broken Embraces, Red Cliff, The Road, the Princess and the Frog, Armored, Brothers, Invictus, A Single Man, The Slammin' Salmon, Crazy Heart, It's Complicated, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, The Lovely Bones.


STILL NOT GONNA SEE: The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Bride Wars,Love Happens, Old Dogs.

No comments: