Sunday, November 30, 2008

Box Office Report: 30!

Dude here again. Another Thanksgiving weekend is upon us, which means another year has passed us. And more importantly, another year has passed me. And this year, the Dude welcomes himself to the 30-club! But my age is of no importance. Not when there are numbers to report.

This weekend, despite the fact that it's Thanksgiving, people wanted Christmas. And not just one Christmas, but.... wow, 30. 30 years I've been here. Sorry. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday).

1. Four Christmases (NL) - $31.6, 3310 screens, week 1, $46.7 total

2. Bolt (BV) - $26.5, 3654 screens, week 2, $66.8 total

3. Twilight (Sum) $26.3, 3425 screens, week 2, $119.5 total

4. Quantum of Solace (Sony)- $19.5, 3501 screens, week 3, $142.0 total

5. Australia (Fox) - $14.8, 2642 screens, week 1, $20.0 total

6. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (Par/DW)- $14.5, 3709 screens, week 4, $159.5 total

7. Transporter 3 (LGF) - $12.3, 2626 screens, week 1, $18.5 total

8. Role Models (Uni) - $5.2, 2195 screens, week 4, $57.8 total

9. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (Mir)- $1.6, 582 screens, week 4, $5.1 total

10. Milk (Focus) - $1.3, 36 screens, week 1, $1.8 total

So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, as mentioned before, the irresistible combination of Vince Vaughn, Reese Witherspooon, and a whole bunch of Christmases seemed to appeal to all those ready to move on from Thanksgiving. Jesus, THIRTY! Where the hell did my twenties go? It's all a blur, littered with empty bottles of Jack Daniels along the side.

Bolt and Twilight are in a very close race for secoFUCK!!! THIRTY!!!! I've wasted my life watching movies and reporting box office numbers. And making Simon Pegg laugh. Okay, that's something in the plus column, but still. I thought I'd have made several of the record breaking movies I report about by now.

I gotta give a shout out to Transporter 3, which doesn't appear to have done all that well, but is about on par with previous Transporter outings. And it's better than the Bond movie. Seriously. That's not just my jaded 30-year old mind tired of big budget commercial crap. It's because I'm an immature 30-year old who can never pass up a Statham flick.

I can't keep going on. I'm gonna drink myself to sleep

There you have my amazing break down. Next week, another Punisher movie, but this one is without Dolph Lundgren, too. See that? I remember seeing the Lundgren one in the theaters. I hear Neil Young singing "Old man, look at my life". Time to cry.

Until next weekend.......

1 comment:

turkish forever said...

Welcome to the big 3-0. Dont worry if it doesnt feel different it didnt to me either. In fact I rarely remember how old I am.

I asked for Death Race for chirstmas...I so want my dreadnought.