Monday, September 07, 2009

Box Office Repeat: Labor edition

Dude here again. I travelled 2600 miles in 3 days in my car, with just myself. At one point, I was listening to the music of Star Wars, and making the sound effects and voicing the dialog myself. It got a little rough, but I made it. And now I'm recovering.

So because of those factors, and in honor of Labor Day, I'm being real lazy about getting you these numbers. .

This weekend, some last minute summer flicks try for one last grasp of the ring, and fail. Extra added bonus day, now, too! Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Tuesday).

1. The Final Destination (NL)- $15.4, 3121 screens, week 2, $50.5 total

2. Inglorious Basterds (Wein)- $15.0, 3358 screens, week 3, $95.2 total

3. All About Steve (Fox)- $13.9, 2251 screens, week 1, $13.9 total

4. Gamer (LGF) - $11.2, 2502 screens, week 1, $11.2 total

5. District 9 (TriS) - $9.0, 3139 screens, week 4, $103.2 total

6. Halloween II (2009) (Dim) - $7.0, 3088 screens, week 2, $27.1 total

7. Julie & Julia (Sony) - $7.0, 2528 screens, week 5, $80.6 total

8. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Par) - $6.7, 2846 screens, week 5, $141.0 total

9. The Time Traveler's Wife (NL)- $5.4, 2803 screens, week 4, $55.7 total

10. Extract (Mir) $5.3, 1611 screens, week 1, $5.3 total

So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means that people still want to see young people die in incredulous ways, and Brad Pitt collecting Nazi scalps over a crazy Sandra Bullock, but still not that much. There are a lot of low numbers this weekend, but enough to certify 2 hits of the late summer.

All About Steve got so many bad reviews it actually sparked my interest in seeing it. (But just not yet). And Gamer, which is a movie from the guys that make Crank, which means it's batshit insane, came in 4th.

Extract made about ten times the total gross of Idiocracy. Which is nice, but still not that great. Yet another Mike Judge film for audiences to discover on DVD.

And while we weren't looking, Transforming Robots 2 managed to take in $400 million this summer. That's too much for me to handle right now.

You know what else makes me a little misty eyed? There's been a Jason Statham movie released every end of summer since 2004, and this is the first summer to not give us one. Next year, we get Expendables, but this year, I cry silently.

There you have my amazing break down. Next week, a bunch of new movies open up, including 9, and something else.

Until next weekend.......

No comments: