Friday, May 08, 2009

Star Trek


Yeah, it's just as awesome as everyone's saying it is.

It's enormously entertaining and supremely satisfying.


It has spaceships and lasers and explosions, but it's not as in your face as the "This is not your father's Star Trek" marketing campaign would lead you to believe. It's just a solid, fun time at the movies that doesn't insult your intelligence one bit, and can be accessible to fans and non-fans alike.

The casting is solid. Naturally, my inclination towards a favorite would be Simon Pegg's portrayal of Scotty. (I made him laugh one time, you know). But lo and behold, Karl Urban steps up to the plate and knocks it out of the park. Thank Odin we have Karl Urban in our lives. You can argue the merits of Kirk and Spock, or Tyler Perry's inexplicable role, or Winona Ryder's make-up. Give me Karl Urban!

I had a huge grin on my face from start to finish, and I honestly can't wait to see it again. And not just because I had to pee really bad that it caused me some kidney pain in the last 20 minutes, causing me to lose focus.

Seriously, I've peed twice since I left the theater 50 minutes ago, and they still kinda hurt.

Oh, but as exuberant and unbelievably jazzed by the flick as I am... Enough with the goddamn lens flare!

2 comments:

-Brady said...

I hate lens flare, I actually hate any type of flare.

R.BillMountain said...

Of course, Abrams is destined to become Lucas and Spielberg, get his dick stuck in a computer and rape his former awesome creations...but for now it's like it's 1983 and I'm seeing Jedi for the first time. F'ing Fun!