Dude here again. Well, another big week is upon us. I feel that the weekend numbers are beginning to lose their luster. I feel that if there's a disappointingly low week at the box office, THAT will be worth reporting. As it stands, I just type these large numbers and stand back. Hoping they impress you.
So are you impressed yet?
This weekend, another DaVinci Code movie-type movie is released, this one with Tom Hanks, not Nicolas Cage. And lots of money was made by all. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday).
1. Angels & Demons (Sony) - $48.0, 3527 screens, week 1, $74.0 total
2. Star Trek (Par) $43.0, 3860 screens, week 2, $147.6 total
3. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Fox)- $14.8, 3892 screens, week 3, $151.0 total
4. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (WB) - $6.8, 3150 screens, week 3, $40.0 total
5. Obsessed (ScrGm) - $4.5, 2634 screens, week 4, $62.5 total
6. 17 Again (WB) - $3.4, 2450 screens, week 5, $58.3 total
7. Monsters Vs. Aliens (Par/DW) - $3.0, 1951 screens, week 8, $190.5 total
8. The Soloist (Par/DW)- $2.4, 2022 screens, week 3, $27.5 total
9. Next Day Air (Sum)- $2.2, 1339 screens, week 2, $7.6 total
10. Earth (BV)- $1.6, 1584 screens, week 4, $29.0 total
So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means people like it when Tom Hanks cuts his hair and opens up a can of whoop-ass on the Vatican. That's what I think the movie's about anyway. There are two certainties: Angels & Demons didn't perform as well as its predecessor, and the film contained neither angels NOR demons. I declare shenanigans.
Meanwhile, Star Trek continues along a nice path, dropping only 42% from last week. Impressive, and it stands that this Star Trek is the most successful Star Trek film in the history of the entire franchise.
Wolverine, however, continues to disappoint fans across the land with his antics. And Management, a film with Steve Zahn and Jennifer Anniston opened up on...
Whoa! Whilst writing this unbelievable report, I just experienced an earthquake! Crazy! I never feel those! Last time I was rocking out in car to Europe and had no idea it happened. But this time, I wasn't rocking out to Europe. Not too hard.
There you have my amazing break down. Next week, Terminators and museum folk clash!
Until next weekend.......