Sunday, March 08, 2009

Box Office Watch: Lazy Sunday edition

Dude here again. So, being the lazy man that I am, I've gone on vacation. And because I'll be on vacation, I decided to write this ahead of time. What I provide for you is pure conjecture, and in no way whatsoever represents actual numbers in any way shape or form. Except possibly in the minds of studio execs.

This weekend, Watchmen breaks every conceivable record ever. Let's go to the fake numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday from a more reputable source than myself).

1. Watchmen (WB)- $194.4, 3611 screens, week 1, $194.4 total

2. Space Chimps (Fox)- $15.6, 2698 screens, week 38, $128.1 total

3. Slumdog Millionaire (FoxS) - $12.1, 2943 screens, week 16, $115.1 total

4. Taken (Fox) - $9.9, 3089 screens, week 5, $107.8 total

5. He's Just Not That Into You (NL) - $5.8, 2858 screens, week 4, $78.5 total

So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means that Watchmen is just about the most successful motion picture of all time. In my mind. But wow, look at those numbers!

And hey, how about Space Chimps rocketing back up to the top of the charts, too! Yeah, Space Chimps! Naturally

And Taken continues it's dominance in the field of kicking your butt. Go Liam Neeson, Go!

not for nothing, but being that these are imaginary numbers, I'm impressed I kept it reasonably realistic in terms of not going over the top. Seriously, though, can you tell I've already checked out? I'm outta here, people.

There you have my amazing break down. Next week, I should be back with actual numbers. And hopefully a tan. That you will never see. Being that I write this.

Until next weekend.......

No comments: