Sunday, February 03, 2008

Box Office Report: Super Bowl Weekend!

Dude here again. Rage has subsided from last week's report. I'm sorry, but that Spartans movie just irritates me. But there's always a silver lining. And another target of my rage. But I feel I used up all my venom between Spartans and that Alvin movie, that it's time to take a step back and a deep breath. And relax. Which I have done.

This weekend, a concert movie featuring Disney superstars took the nation by storm. But I'm not going to let them disturb my peaceful frame of mind. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates, the actuals will be available on Monday. Just to prove me wrong).

1. Hannah Montana... Concert Tour (BV)- $29.00, 683 screens, week 1, $29.0 total

2. The Eye (LGF)- $13.0, 2436 screens, week 1, $13.0 total

3. 27 Dresses (Fox) - $8.4, 2976 screens, week 3, $57.1 total

4. Juno (FoxS) - $7.4, 2475 screens, week 9, $110.2 total

5. Meet The Spartans (Fox) - $7.1, 2643 screens, week 2, $28.3 total

6. Rambo (LGF) - $7.0, 2764 screens, week 2, $29.7 total

7. The Bucket List (WB) - $6.8, 2915 screens, week 6, $67.6 total

8. Untraceable (ScrGms) - $5.4, 2368 screens, week 2, $19.4 total

9. Cloverfield (Par) - $4.9, 3007 screens, week 3, $71.9 total

10. There WIll Be Blood (Par V) - $4.7, 1507 screens, week 6, $21.1 total

So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? It means that the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour made an obscene amount of money. It was originally supposed to play for only one week, but the staggering success has apparently extended the run another week. The concert movie made over $42,000 per screen. It is also apparently "the biggest Super Bowl Weekend" release ever, including the week that Titanic movie played. But that's not going to bother me.

The Eye came in second place, proving that Jessica Alba is... I just don't know how to finish that sentence. That 27 Dresses movie is performing pretty strong. And way to go, Juno! And it looks like Rambo is actually taking in more money than the Spartans. See? I'm being positive!

Below the top ten, two other wide releases opened up and took in little money. Over Her Dead Body, with Paul Rudd and a desperate housewife, took in $4.6 million. And Strange Wilderness, with Steve Zahn of all people, took in a little more than $3 million. Neither had favorable reviews, and both will disappear shortly.

And in the "Because It's There" series: Michael Clayton took in took in $1,770,000 on 1010 screens, bringing it's grand total to $44,163,000 in 18 weeks.

There you have my break down. Next week we see if the Montana crowd keeps at it. While some other movie opens.

Until next weekend....

No comments: