Monday, January 14, 2008

Box Office Report: 1-13-08

Dude here again. Taking a break from a long day of online Scrabble play, just so I can report the numbers your way. You see? You see the sacrifice I make? I do it out of love. (Love, which coincidentally garnered me 7 points on the scrabble board).

This weekend, we had numerous films open. Did any knock off tri-week champion National Treasure? Did Juno win over the entire movie going audience? Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates, the actuals will be available on Monday. Just to prove me wrong).

1. The Bucket List (WB) - $19.5, 2911 screens, week 3, $20.9 total

2. First Sunday (ScrGms) - $19.0, 2213 screens, week 1, $19.0 total

3. Juno (FoxS) - $14.0, 2448 screens, week 6, $71.2 total

4. National Treasure: Book Of Secrets (BV)- $11.4, 3377 screens, week 4, $187.2 total

5. Alvin and the Chipmunks (Fox) - $9.1, 3384 screens, week 5, $187.7 total

6. I Am Legend (WB) - $8.1, 3353 screens, week 5, $240.2 total

7. One Missed Call (WB)- $6.1, 2240 screens, week 2, $20.6 total

8. P.S. I Love You (WB) - $5.0, 2323 screens, week 4, $47.0 total

9. The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything (Uni) - $4.4, 1337 screens, week 1, $4.4 total

10. Atonement (Focus) - $4.3, 950 screens, week 6, $25.2 total

So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means that almost the same amount of people opted for The Bucket List and First Sunday. In fact, when the numbers are revealed, there could be a switch in the positions. But I won't change this article, because, quite frankly, there's Scrabble to play. Still, $19 million opening for both films is simultaneously impressive and disturbing.

Juno was expected to be the big winner of the weekend, too, which is strange. Luckily for my apathy, I didn't have to change the position in the rankings this week for it! Go me!

A movie about a bunch of animated vegetables pretending to be pirates, who apparently don't do anything, came in ninth place, which is really sad. Any movie that boasts talking produce AND piracy is alright in my book, and deserves to make chipmunk dollars. That movie took in another disheartening amount of money this weekend, and might surpass National Treasure in the final tally. I can't really find enough variations of the phrase "For Shame" to express my sentiments about this revelation.

Below the radar, In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale opened up, much to the chagrin of marquee changing teens across the land. The latest from Uwe Boll (although, not technically the latest, as the film is 2 years old, and he's somehow made 3 more movies since) finally opened up. Sadly, it opened on 1631 screens, and barely took over $3 million dollars. While that is more than Bloodrayne took in it's entire theatrical run, it's apparent that Boll is far from House of the Dead-type numbers. This does not bode well for Postal, a halfway intelligible offering from the "Master of How?".

(It should be noted that I coined the term "Master of how?", and should it catch on, I want royalties).

And in the "Because It's There" series: Alvin and the Chipmunks took in took in $9,100,000 on 3384 screens, bringing it's grand total to $187,740,000 in 5 weeks. Just need to keep pointing that out.

There you have my break down. Next week brings a giant monster, as well as a movie with the girl from Knocked Up and the doctor show, who my friend prank called many many years ago. True story. She didn't know it was a prank call. Then three years later, she shows up in Under Siege 2. Coincidence? I think not.

Until next weekend....

No comments: