Sunday, March 21, 2010

Box Office REPOrt: Repo Men didn't fare as well as the others.

Dude here again. I'm very excited to be presenting you the numbers this week. Not for any selfish reasons at all. It's because I enjoy writing them. I enjoy getting up at the crack of 11:30 (Pacific Time) stumbling my way to the computer, reading numbers, writing numbers, hitting the crack pipe, coming up with witty things to say about movies making money. I'm living the dream, people!

Provided the dream involves being paid in candy.

This weekend, a showdown at the... no, it's Alice again. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday).

1. Alice in Wonderland (BV)- $34.5, 3739 screens, week 3, $265.8 total

2. Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Fox) - $21.8, 3077 screens, week 1, $21.8 total

3. The Bounty Hunter (Sony) - $21.0, 3074 screens, week 1, $21.0 total

4. Repo Men (Uni)- $6.1, 2521 screens, week 1, $6.1 total

5. She's Out of My League (Par)- $6.0, 2958 screens, week 2, $19.9 total

6. Green Zone (Uni) - $5.9, 3004 screens, week 2, $24.7 total

7. Shutter Island (Par)- $4.7, 2704 screens, week 5, $115.7 total

8. Avatar (Fox) $4.0, 1236 screens, week 14, $736.8 total

9. Our Family Wedding (FoxS) - $3.8, 1609 screens, week 2, $13.6 total

10. Remember Me (Sum)- $3.3, 2215 screens, week 2, $13.3 total

So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means that anyone releasing anything seems to be in a fight to reach second place. And as my high school track coach once told me, second place is really the first loser. (Note, I wasn't on the track team, I just heard him say that once). But Alice continues to rake in the green, thanks to the 3-D and everyone's fascination with the source material. Or love of Johnny Depp. Or all of the above. I don't know, I still haven't seen it yet.

In a surprise move, Diary of a Wimpy Kid took second place over the much more hyped (and the absolutely dreadful) Bounty Hunter. Sure, both took in around $21 million, but let's be honest, unless you're a kid who knows the books or a parent who's forced to take them, you wouldn't expect it to do that well. Kudos! As for the Bounty Hunter, you know what you've done.

Alas, poor Repo Men. Looks like the film couriers will be Repo-ing this one in 2 weeks. Damn shame, really, as it's a pretty fun flick and it deserved an audience. Poor Universal, between this and the steep drop off of Green Zone, they better hope they have an impressive summer, otherwise more heads will roll. (Although that means I could be running things there this time next year!)

Avatar seems to be slowing down, eh? Strangely enough, because it didn't win the Bst Picture, my esteem for it has risen immeasurably. I want to see it again in IMAX now, and I don't mind paying for it.

Below the radar, The Runaways, a movie with Dakota Fanning and K-Stew about the chick band from the 70s that promises a kiss between them opened up on 244 screens and took in $803,000. Impressive for a film I'm told "makes you feel creepy, like you want to go door-to-door and announce yourself to your neighbors." Also, the Hubble 3-D movie opened up, which I am all for. It took in $453,000 on 39 screens. Take THAT, Avatar!

So there, you have my amazing break down. Next week, four words: Hot. Tub. Time. Machine.

Until next weekend.......


(All Numbers courtesy of Box Office Mojo)

No comments: