Dude here again. Super-psyched that it's Academy Awards time. Being that I'm awesome, I'm going to give you my top Oscar picks. Here it is: Rambo for best everything that's not Best Supporting Actress, which goes to The Dreadnaught in Death Race, and Best Costume Design going to The Duchess. Those were some damn pretty costumes. And Best Animated Picture is obviously Space Chimps.
This weekend, another ridiculous amount of money is made by one release. But last week's number stumbles greatly. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday).
1. Tyler Perry's Madea Goes To Jail (LGF) - $41.1, 2032 screens, week 1, $41.1 total
2. Taken (Fox) - $11.4, 3102 screens, week 4, $95.1 total
3. Coraline (Focus)- $11.0, 2155 screens, week 3, $53.3 total
4. He's Just Not That Into You (NL) - $8.5, 3050 screens, week 3, $70.0 total
5. Slumdog Millionaire (FoxS) - $8.0, 2244 screens, week 15, $98.0 total
6. Friday the 13th (NL/Par) - $7.8, 3105 screens, week 2, $55.0 total
7. Confessions of a Shopaholic (BV)- $7.0, 2507 screens, week 2, $27.6 total
8. Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Sony)- $7.0, 2835 screens, week 6, $121.3 total
9. Fired Up (ScrGms) - $6.0, 1810 screens, week 1, $6.0 total
10. The International (Sony) $4.4, 2364 screens, week 2, $17.0 total
So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means that Madea went to jail, and did a hell of a lot better than when that Ernest guy went to jail. Know what I mean, Vern? Madea Goes To Jail proved to be a huge hit for the Tyler Perry empire, which means that we can be sure of at least a decade's worth of Madea titles. Thanks a lot, world.
Ok, so as I'm writing this, the Duchess really did just win for best costumes. Skills like these, people, is why they pay me the big bucks.
Last week's number 1, Friday the 13th, dropped a whopping 80%. It's the 6th largest drop of its kind. Records all around this weekend. Still, Jason's got nothing to worry about, as the film has already made back it's budget three times over, which is still more money than I will ever see in my lifetime, unless my Mega Millions ticket from Friday paid off. (Note to self: check lotto numbers).
Fired Up- didn't quite bring it on. You see what I did there? Skills like these, people.
Wait a minute, Space Chimps wasn't even nominated?!?! Pardon my interweb lingo, but Double-you-tee-eff? The whole damn system is corrupt.
There you have my amazing break down. Next week, Liam Neeson continues his reign of terror upon us all, and there honestly is nothing you can do about it. And only one week to Watchmen!!!
Until next weekend.......