Dude here again. I'm going to keep this short and sweet, as I'm packing for Mexico. The two-week punch of Beverly Hills Chihuahua has me convinced that something is seriously amiss down there. And somebody has to stop this chihuahua uprising. And that person is me.
This weekend, more films were released. Some came close to defeating the chihuahuas, but ultimately failed. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday).
1. Beverly Hills Chihuahua (BV)- $17.5, 3218 screens, week 2, $52.5 total
2. Quarantine (ScrGms) $14.2, 2461 screens, week 1, $14.2 total
3. Body Of Lies (WB) - $13.1, 2710 screens, week 1, $13.1 total
4. Eagle Eye (Par/DW)- $11.0, 3614 screens, week 3, $70.5 total
5. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (Sony) - $6.5, 2421 screens, week 2, $20.8 total
6. The Express (Uni) - $4.7, 2808 screens, week 1, $4.7 total
7. Nights in Rodanthe (WB)- $4.6, 2575 screens, week 3, $32.3 total
8. Appaloosa (WB/NL) - $3.34, 1290 screens, week 4, $10.8 total
9. The Duchess (ParV) - $3.32, 1207 screens, week 4, $5.6 total
10. City Of Ember (Fox) - $3.2, 2022 screens, week 1, $3.2 total
So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means that the combined star power of Crowe and DiCaprio weren't enough to attract people as much as talking dogs and flesh eating zombies. And also that people prefer their football live, and not in filmed form. And that a post apocalyptic kids movie isn't exactly the most marketable of ideas, no matter how innovative the set design is.
So yeah, that's the brief version. Let me stress again, this is a fact finding/butt-kicking mission to Mexico I'm on. It has nothing to do with any sort of pending investigations, and absolutely has nothing to do with a loan shark named "Johnny No-Thumbs". nothing at all.
There you have my amazing break down. Next week, a movie about the current US president. And Max Payne, with Mark Wahlberg, who should really consider running for president really. Because nobody would want mess with Mark Wahlberg. Nobody.
Hasta próximo fin de semana.......