Dude here again. So... ummm.... really? Again? We're doing this again?
This weekend, some movies opened. But there is only one king of the mountain, and it's the same king. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday).
1. Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Sony)- $21.5, 3144 screens, week 2, $64.8 total
2. Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (ScrGms) - $20.7, 2942 screens, week 1, $20.7 total
3. Gran Torino (WB) $16.2, 3045 screens, week 7, $97.5 total
4. Hotel For Dogs (Par/DW)- $12.3, 3271 screens, week 2, $36.9 total
5. Slumdog Millionaire (FoxS) - $10.5, 1411 screens, week 11, $55.9 total
6. My Bloody Valentine 3-D (LGF) - $10.5, 2534 screens, week 2, $37.7 total
7. Inkheart (WB) - $7.7, 2655 screens, week 1, $7.7 total
8. Bride Wars (Fox)- $7.0, 2621 screens, week 3, $48.7 total
9. Benjamin Button (Par) - $6.0, 2263 screens, week 5, $111.0 total
10. Notorious (FoxS) - $5.7, 1641 screens, week 2, $31.7 total
So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Well, it means the king of the hill is Paul Blart... Mall Cop... AGAIN! What's going on out there? Did I miss a memo? Paul Blart Mall Cop.
There was an Underworld movie out for Odin's sake! And as much as I dislike those movies... Mall Cop?!?!
The Oscar nominations were announced, and that certainly gave a small boost to some of the nominated fil..MALL COP!
A MOVIE CAME OUT WITH VIKINGS FIGHTING AN ALIEN!!! It made $53,200 on 81 screens. That's $21,446,800 less than the mall cop. Vikings fighting aliens, people! Think about what you've done.
There you have my amazing break down. Next week, I'm willing to bet that the Mall Cop wins again, thus giving me an excuse to just write the words "MALL COP" with dollar signs all around it and turn it in. I might just write it now and sleep in next week.
Until next weekend.......