Sunday, May 11, 2008

Box Office Report: Mother's Day Edition

Dude here again. It's Mother's Day, so in a nice change of pace, I decided to have my mother do the box office report for this week. Because nothing says "Thanks for being an awesome mom" like making her do your work for you. But she better make it quick because I have a few more loads of laundry she needs to get done tonight.

This weekend, the Iron Man made a lot of money. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? (All in millions, remember, and these are the studio estimates. The actuals will be available on Monday. Just to prove this column wrong).

1. Iron Man (Par) - $50.5, 4111 screens, week 2, $177.1 total

2. Speed Racer (WB) - $20.2, 3606 screens, week 1, $20.2 total

3. What Happens In Vegas (Fox)- $20.0, 3215 screens, week 1, $20.0 total

4. Made of Honor (Sony) - $7.6, 2734 screens, week 2, $26.2 total

5. Baby Mama (Uni) - $5.7, 2627 screens, week 3, $40.3 total

6. Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Uni) - $3.7, 2376 screens, week 4, $50.7 total

7. Harold and Kumar... (NL)- $3.1, 2264 screens, week 3, $30.7 total

8. The Forbidden Kingdom (LGF) - $1.9, 1724 screens, week 4, $48.2 total

9. Nim's Island (Fox) - $1.3, 1601 screens, week 6, $44.2 total

10. Redbelt (SPC) - $1.1, 1379 screens, week 2, $1.2 total

So those are the numbers, but what do they mean? Look at how much the iron man made. I like that Robert Downey Jr. He was great in Soapdish. I always liked him.

Speed Racer? They made a movie about that? My son is telling me it's from the people who made The Matrix. Wait, Emile Hirsh is Speed Racer? I thought he was also in Iron Man. There's so many movies out there.

What Happens In Vegas? It should stay there! I'm kidding. I'm glad to see that Ashton Kutcher got some work after That 70s Show. He always plays dumb so well. Oh wow, that made almost as much as Speed Racer. I bet somebody's inflating some numbers there. nobody likes coming in second, but nobody likes coming in third even more.

Which was the movie where the man keeps showing his business? Forgetting Sarah Marshall! Your father laughed at that one a lot.

What's Redbelt? My son once again informs me that it's a new movie from David Mamet. David Mamet used to prank call your Aunt Rachel's father a few years ago. Something about an order of goats. I guess it's a Northeastern thing.

There are so many movies. They all made a lot of money. When are your movies going to be made? You know, you can still go back to school and get a teaching degree, right? Your brother Mark is doing well with his degree, teaching kids in Tanzania how to write a paragraph, he's such a good humanitarian. What? Oh, the dryer buzzed.

There you have my (mom's) break down. Next week, the Chronic (what?)-cles of Narnia comes out. Mom did like that one, but she says she fell asleep during the one with the polar bears. And she is also very excited for Indiana Jones. (She made me write that).

Until next weekend.... Happy Mother's Day
(My parents).

No comments: